HgTe/CdTe in MRC Etcher

Matthias Baenninger mbaennin at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 20 21:30:50 PDT 2010

Dear Special Materials Committee,

I sent an email about this a while ago but I think it might have been lost
because I was not an SNF labmember at that time and hence not authorized to
email to specmat.

I am a postdoc in David Goldhaber-Gordon's group working on mercury
telluride quantum wells. I'd like to inquire about the possibility of
etching our material in the MRC etcher at SNF.

I am aware of the toxicity of HgTe, but would like to point out that the
amount of material we would etch is exceedingly small:

Our devices are no more than 5x5 mm and we would etch a maximum of about
100nm (approximately 90nm Hg_0.3Cd_0.7Te and <10nm HgTe). I.e. the maximum
etched material would be about 2.5e-6 cm^-3 or <20 micrograms. MSDS for HgTe
and CdTe are available on the Stanford ES&H website.

The heterostructures are grown on a CdTe(Zn 4%) substrate, however, we would
not etch deep enough to reach the substrate.

All other processing (except possibly ebeam lithography, see separate email)
would be done outside SNF.

Please let me know, if you need any further information.

Many thanks,

Matthias Baenninger

Coral login: mbaennin

-----------------------------------