HgTe/CdTe in Raith

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 22 16:11:40 PDT 2010

Hi Jim, Ed  --

I also followed up with Jim Kruger who said much the same thing.  He
brought up the additional concern that even if users had their own
chimney and quartzware, they would have to store it and clean it in a
safe place.  And me, I'm worried about the pump oil.

As for the Raith, James has been routinely allowing II-VI compounds in.
Rationale is that the samples are largely cooled, and maybe only locally
heated where the beam strikes -- and that's going to be covered in
resist anyway -- and as Paul has indicated, the total energy is
extremely low.  James says these materials were fairly routinely
processed in ebeam at HP (they even deposited them in a sputter tool,
during the last few days before a monthly pm.)

I'd like to propose that we OK this for the Raith.  As for the MRC, I
would suggest we voice these concerns and offer to help them -- advice
on getting an etcher for their own lab, due diligence with EH&S,
alternatives on campus, etc.

What do you think?

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu