[Fwd: Re: final list of metal alkoxides ordered + all MSDS...]

Robert Huang roberth at quswami.com
Fri Aug 6 17:26:54 PDT 2010

Mahnaz, Uli, All,

Yes, things definitely didn't go well, at least for 3 of the 4 materials that I was working with.  I'm attaching the details of the 4 different solutions, the concentrations of each, what temperatures I used, and the order that I tried them out.  The summary is that the first solution, the SiO2 solution, behaved fine on many wafers both at 30C and at 50C.  However, for the other 3 solutions, Aluminum oxide, Hf oxide, and Zr oxide, they all formed solids (the metal oxides themselves) after exposure to ambient after a few minutes.  I tried heating the Zr oxide solution as well as checked on a bare silicon wafer but neither of those helped.  So, as Mahnaz has pointed out, the experiment didn't go as expected (or as had been published in the original Palomares reference that I had submitted to the specmat committee when I made this request).

In retrospect, I understand the concern from the other users.  They didn't know what materials I was working with and what the solids were.  I think you all know that I consider safety to be the top priority, and in this case I got caught up in trying to figure out what was going wrong with my solutions.

I'll be trying to figure out exactly why this happened.  Certainly, in the meantime I concur with not running any more experiments with these materials in this manner.

If there are any further questions, let me know.

Robert