[POSSIBLE VIRUS:###] [Fwd: MSDS]

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 1 11:36:09 PST 2010

Hi Alvin --

Two of the three have been used in the lab before, but in solution
form.  These were spin-coated on the headway and processed through Ebeam
(polyaniline) or other lithography and general wet bench steps.  The
4-phenythiophenol has not been previously approved -- it doesn't seem to
have a CAS number so would not appear to be a commonly used chemical.  I
think we would need a detailed procedure on how it is to be handled.
Particularly as thiophenols typically stink to high heaven.

Also, we do not allow mixing of powders inside the lab.  The high air
flow causes stuff to blow around - and if even if you work in a
designated bench area, powders and crystals tend to blow all over the
inside of the hood.  So mixing should be done outside the lab -- the
wafersaw area can be used for pre-approved chemicals and chemical
mixtures.  Please provide some details about the solutions you would
like to mix up (solvent, concentration, and special handling, such as
heating) and where you would like to use them in the lab (spin coating,
hot plate, oven?)

mtang at stanford.edu