Fwd: SiO2 nanospheres

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 12 08:06:15 PST 2010

Hi Carter ---

Sorry about that.  To cut down on spam to SpecMat at snf,  mail is accepted
only from registered addresses -- so I believe it only from your coral
login at snf or the address you forward to from the SNF computer are
considered legitimate addresses.  If you email from anywhere else, it
may be rejected.  You can talk to Maureen about setting up your
forwarding email appropriately.

As for your SpecMat request, I'm afraid we do not allow silica
microspheres to be spun up at the headway2 station.  Nanoparticle
solutions have a tendency to aerosolize and then fly all over the place
-- and almost permanently stick to surfaces (benchtop, shields,
cassettes, wafers).  We do allow latex particles at this station because
these are no worse than resist -- they will come off in sulfuric clean
or plasma ashing and so are not likely to cause lasting damage to other
people's work.  However, metal, semiconducting, silica nanoparticles and
nanotubes in solution can potentially do serious damage to others' work.

If you are templating with silica nanospheres, spin coating will result
in only limited local self-assembly.  You will need to make sure your
nanospheres are ionized/charged and diluted in nanopure water.  If you
need self-assembly over the whole wafer, you might consider talking with
Chingmei Hsu in Yi Cui's lab, as she uses a Langmuir-Blodgett trough to
do whole wafers.  Alternatively, you might consider spin-coating latex
spheres instead --- depending on your depth of etch, the selectivity of
resist to silicon is typically around 4:1 and can yield nicely vertical
pillars.  Usha Raghuram and Mingliang Zhang have done some
characterization, I believe.

Lastly, we did have another spin coater located outside the lab for
spinning solutions of nanoparticles (like silica) other than latex.
However, this died just before shutdown and we haven't yet tried to
repair or replace it.  We will, but it may be some weeks before it is
available again.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu