questions about process involving new chemicals

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 15 08:53:05 PDT 2010

Hi Yuxin --

Just a comment about your process...  I suspect the mercaptosuccinic
acid treatment will be effective only if your polystyrene beads are
chemically functionalized with carboxylate or other groups which are
negatively charged at neutral pH.  If the pH isn't right, the sulfhydryl
groups will fall off the gold and the succinic and carboxylate groups
won't be negatively charged enough to repel each other.  You should
check the specifications on your beads:  most of the calibration
standard beads you can buy are NOT chemically functionalized.  In short,
you should double-check your references on the details of your surface
treatment procedure.

As for actually doing your process:

1.  Make up your solution in the wafersaw room.  No powders are allowed
in the lab.  There are mixing and weighing materials in the wafersaw
room.  If you do not have storage available in your own lab, it should
be labeled and stored in the Flammables area outside the cleanroom.  If
you need a pH meter, let us know.  If you need sodium hydroxide to
neutralize your solution, you should order a dilute solution from Sigma
(BioStores may have this).  Mixed chemical solutions should be
transported in a double-contained carrier to the pass-through area to
the lab.  Please contact Uli, Mahnaz or me to review the detailed
procedures.

2.  The assembly process should be done at wbgeneral.  I see you are
already qualified on wbgeneral, but you should check with Uli to make
sure about setting up the heater/stirrer for your process.

3.  Since your solution is dilute, it and the rinse water can be
aspirated into the AWN (no need for collecting waste.)

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu