HgCdTe

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 14 09:11:46 PDT 2010

Hi Matthias --

Our apologies in the delay for an official response.  The SpecMat group
would really like to support this work, but is also seriously concerned
about opening up a can of worms since we do not currently have a strict
set of procedures or mechanism of control over materials that go into
the MRC.  As you probably remember from the Cleanliness & Contamination
meeting a few months ago, Eric Perozziello brought up a lot of user
concerns over control of materials in the MRC.

So, as far as the MRC is concerned, it sounded like you already had a
resource on campus (you had mentioned working with EH&S to get etching
approved for ion milling in another lab?) for etching.  Since we are not
really set up for handling of toxic materials in the MRC, if you have
other resources for etching your material, SpecMat would prefer that you
use them rather than the MRC.  If you have no other etching resources,
then we should talk about other possible alternatives.  Please let us
know if you would like to work with us on this.

As for the Raith, these materials are not a problem, since this and
similar ones are already being used on this system.  Because material is
not being etched, it is not subjected to high temperatures, and provided
the vapor pressure is low, a broader range of materials are allowed on
the Raith.

mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu