additional material...RE: Addition to request to use aluminum tri-sec butoxide in SNF...

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 11 11:13:42 PST 2010

Hi Robert --

Thanks!  The protocol describes preparation of the solutions in dry-IPA
under anaerobic glovebox conditions.  I'm afraid we do not have a
glovebox here at SNF -- were you planning to make up your solutions
here?   I'm also not sure how water/air reactive these chemicals are --
the MSDS say that they can form possibly explosive mixtures with water
-- but then, the MSDS for octadecyl trichlorosilane (OTS) says the same
and this is used a lot in the lab.  I suspect the chemicals you have are
similar, but you should check on this with the supplier.  (OTS is
moisture and air sensitive, but basically means that when you let it sit
around for a few hours, it turns into useless sand, but if you work
quickly, you can get a good surface coating down.)

So again, please check with your supplier on recommendations for
handling and using these chemicals.  We can't provide a glovebox here,
but you may not need one.  Our primary concern is safety (if these are,
indeed, explosive, then these are a definite no).  The secondary concern
is whether air/moisture exposure will adversely affect your experiment.
Please let us know what your supplier or other knowledgeable source
recommends.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu