Fwd: Re: SNF training on EVG 101 Resist spray coater

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 19 09:06:57 PST 2010

Hi Mahnaz and SpecMat --

Our current guideline is that we don't allow processing involving
nanoparticle dispersals in the fab.  The problem is that aerosols,
whether they come from off-spray during spin coating or ultrasonic
nebulization in spray coating, will be easily carried by air flows and
stick to the first surface they contact.  They will also be incredibly
difficult to remove.

The exception is latex spheres (i.e. polystyrene beads) -- the reason is
that normal resist removal processing will get rid of these easily.

Contamination by conductive and magnetic nanoparticles (including
"magnabeads"), however, can really screw up someone else's experiments.

So, going by this guideline, my recommendation is to say "no" to this
request.  We could refer them directly to EV or Suss as those companies
might be willing to collaborate with them.

By the way, we need to watch for this group -- Ed, Maureen, and I have
found them to be quite dishonest in their dealings with us so far.  If
you tell them "No" it needs to be clear and not open to "misinterpretation."

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu