Request for an approval for new polyimides

Hyunjoo Jenny Lee hyunjoo at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 16 15:51:10 PDT 2010

Contact Information: Jenny Lee, hyunjoo, 650-644-5800, hyunjoo at stanford.edu, PI: Pierre Khuri-Yakub

Material: Polyimide in powder format (MSDS for each compounds attached) mixed in Xylene.

   1. Copolyimide (6FDA:BTDA:3MPD)
   2. Homopolyimide(6FDA:4MPD)
   3. PNVP (poly(N-vinylpyrrolidone)

   * 6FDA: Hexafluoroisopropylidene diphthalic anhydride (CAS: 1107-00-2)
   * BTDA: 3,3',4,4'-Benzophenonetetracarboxylic dianhydride (CAS: 2421-28-5)
   * 3MPD: 2,4,6-Trimethyl-m-phenylenediamine (CAS: 3102-70-3)
   * 4MPD: 2,3,5,6-Tetramethyl-1,4-phenylenediamine (CAS: 3102-87-2)
   * PNVP: POLY(VINYL PYRROLIDONE) (CAS: 9003-39-8)

Note: Individual monomers are already synthesized into the 1 and 2 polymers by this company. The polyimides are stored in glass bottles and stable. Also, I have tried mixing these polyimides in chloroform and the mixtures were stable, no-reaction, just mixed. In SNF, these polyimides will be mixed with Xylene instead.

Vendor: Adherent Technologies, Inc. Development Laboratories, 11208 Cochiti SE, Albuquerque, NM  87123, Phone: (505) 346-1688

Reason for request: We need functionalize our device by spin-coating thin (40~50nm) polymer layer on top of our device.

Process Flow: Spin-coat on Headway2 on small silicon pieces or our 2mm-by-5mm device pieces fabricated at SNF, cure on litho hotplate, UV-Cure, and possibly long-bake in an oven.

Amount: All polyimides are in powder format and amount is restricted below 5g. For each mixture, max 0.1~0.5g of powder will be mixed with Xylene. If it is not allowed to bringing in them in powder format, I can bring them in pre-mixed in Xylene in solution format. Please advise on the acceptable procedure recommended by SNF.

Storage: No need to store them in SNF.

Disposal: Very tiny amount will be dropped on our 2mm x 5mm device pieces for spin-coating. So only small amount will be placed on the aluminum foil around the headway. Those foil with residues can be placed in a zip-lock for disposal if required.