New Material ErAs:GaAs

Mike Kozina mkozina at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 27 14:45:03 PDT 2011

Hello,

I would like to bring a new material, ErAs:GaAs, into the SNF and am seeking your approval.

Personal Information:

Name: Michael Kozina
Coral login: mkozina
Phone Number: 650-926-5382 (work), 209-662-1094 (cell)
Email: mkozina at stanford.edu
PI: David Reis, Department of Applied Physics/PULSE (SLAC)

Chemical:

This is GaAs with a thin (1.8micron) layer on top of ErAs islands interspersed in GaAs. I do not have an MSDS for this material (it is a new material developed by a collaborator). I am not sure of the specific Storage Group Identifier that would be most appropriate, but it seems that what works for GaAs should also work for this. Moreover, the same hazards that apply to GaAs apply to this material.

The material was made by Art Gossard's group in the Materials Science Department at UC Santa Barbara.
Website: http://engineering.ucsb.edu/faculty/profile/169
Phone: 805 893-2686

Reason for Request: We are studying various properties of this specific material, and we want to be able to put a certain pattern of gold on it. We don't have the facilities ourselves, and want to use the nanofab lab. There is no new procedure involved here per se--we're just going to use photolithography and sputtering to partially cover 4x4mm pieces of ErAs:GaAs.

Process Flow (note I don't plan on using equipment that are solely "clean"--ie everything will be at the gold-contaminated level):

1. Prime with HMDS in YES oven.
2. Spin on LOL with the headway.
3. Bake on LOL in Blue-M oven.
4. Spin on photoresist with headway.
5. Bake on photoresist.
6. Expose using Karl Suss
7. Develop at wbmiscres.
8. Metallize with metallica.

Amount and Form:

I will bring in at most 1/4 of a 2" wafer of material. It is in solid form, divided into 4x4mm pieces.

Storage:

I don't plan to store this material at the SNF.

Disposal:

I will dispose of any sort of waste as I would for GaAs (using the appropriate As waste bins).

Attached are three publications that detail how this material is made.

Thanks,
Mike Kozina