Glycerin use at wbgeneral

Scott Lee wslee at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 2 11:13:53 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I talked to Mahnaz who wanted more process specifics and details about
glycerin.  I will be etching pieces at wbgeneral.  As stated earlier, I will
use a 5:3 BOE:glycerin mixture.  Since I will be working with pieces, the
quantity of the solution will be small (~500mL every 2 weeks).  The mixture
will be used at room temperature.  Teflon and plastic beakers will be used.
The waste will be specially collected as per hazardous waste protocol and
not be drained down the HF drain.

The MSDS (link attached below) says that it may explode on contact with
chromium trioxide, potassium chlorate, and potassium permanganate.  It also
says to avoid contact with sulfuric and nitric acids (leads to explosive
glyceryl nitrate).  Uli recommended reserving and enabling both sides of
wbgeneral.  The recommendation seems good to me to ensure that no one is
using sulfuric acid or nitric acid in the near vicinity.  Other than that,
it's boiling point is 290C and flashpoint is 177C.

According to wikipedia, glycerin is found in a wide variety of products
including diet foods, laxatives, and cough syrup.

Let me know if any other information would be of interest.

Cheers,
Scott

MSDS
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927350