Question on nickel etchant

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 25 12:45:24 PDT 2011

Hi Daesung --

This has already been approved for use at wbgeneral and wbgaas.  There
are two labmembers who have gallon bottles in the lab.  Rather than
order a new bottle, I would suggest getting in contact with them about
possibly borrowing or sharing. The people who have this are Gavin Zhu
(Coral ID = tzhu) and Kaveh Milaninia (kavehm).

Make sure to read the MSDS.  Used etchant and first rinses must be
collected locally, in labeled waste containers.   Make sure to use
non-plastic, non-metal containers/beakers (glass or teflon are OK)  for
holding the etchant and the waste (it's nitric acid-based which will
oxidize plastics and etch metals.)

If you are heating, make sure to review the station procedures for hot
plate use.

If you anticipate using a lot of it, then you might want to order your
own --   If you decide to get your own bottle, there are more procedures
to follow (standard personal chemical protocols) -- let us know if you
do so we can remind you.

Mary

On 8/25/2011 12:16 PM, Daesung Lee wrote:
> Hi Mary,
>
> I have a quick question. I have a need to use Nickel Etchant TFB in my process in SNF where nickel is used as a sacrificial layer. This etchant is shown to be a good etchant which does not etch most of materials that I want to protect: Oxide, Au, Cr
>
> Would you evaluate whether I can bring it with me to SNF? It would be really helpful for me to work with this etchant.
>
> Please see the attached MSDS and the link http://www.transene.com/ni_etchant.html
>
> Thanks.
> Daesung

Paul G. Allen Room 136, Mail Code 4070