Glycerin use at wbgeneral

Scott Lee wslee at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 26 12:03:03 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I wasn't sure who to send this to so I decided to send it to the safety and
specmat mailing lists.

I am working with a collaborator in Illinois on hafnium diboride (HfB2) as a
hard, conductive material.  I need to selectively etch SiO2 without etching
the HfB2.  My collaborator says his group has had success using a 5:3
BOE:glycerin solution where the BOE is 7:1 40%NH4F:49% HF.

I would like to use this solution at wbgeneral since I will be working with
HF and I need to go to CPD afterwards.  Since glycerin is an alcohol (which
is not normally permitted at wbgeneral), I wanted to make sure it is okay to
use.  Let me know if you have any concerns.  I attached the link to the MSDS
sheet below.

Thanks,
Scott

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927350