HfB2 Metal Coating

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 14 14:51:12 PDT 2011

Hi Scott --

Is it safe to assume that the Hf and B are fully incorporated in ceramic
form?  (In other words, so that nothing off gases when heated to the
temperatures required for processing in sts and maybe pquest)?  If so,
then this strikes me as being OK.

Specmat -- Anyone else on SpecMat with a concern?  Can we call it good?

Mary

On 6/14/2011 8:26 AM, Scott Lee wrote:
> Hi SpecMat Committee,
>
> I have recently obtained some samples of hafnium diboride (HfB2) from
> a collaborator at a materials science group at the University of
> Urbana Illinois.  The HfB2 films were deposited on 'clean' group
> samples such as bare silicon, oxide, and patterned polysilicon on oxide.
>
> The films were not deposited in a clean room facility so I plan on
> handling the samples as gold contaminated.  The samples will need to
> pass through litho (headway and karlsuss) in addition to a few etch
> tools (mrc, pquest) and potentially sts deposition (for an oxide hard
> mask).
>
> Is it okay to work with this material in the cleanroom?  Please let me
> know if you have any questions.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Scott

Paul G. Allen Room 136, Mail Code 4070