Approval to bring 509 crystalbond stripper into SNF

Srikant Vaithilingam srikantv at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 14 15:36:36 PDT 2011

Dear SpecMat Committee,

I would like to request permission to bring the solvent '509-S stripper'
into the SNF cleanroom.

This is a solvent that dissolves Crystalbond 509 which is used to mount
wafers temporarily onto a carrier wafer for use in such tools as STS2.

Crystalbond 509 is already approved for use inside SNF on the recommendation
of STS and following similar practices at the Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor
and Georgia Tech.

'509-S Stripper'  is a non-hazardous, non-flammable solvent, and I hope
there can be a quick approval to bring this solvent into SNF.

I have answered all the questions posed on the SNF website for SpecMat
approval below.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Srikant

1)      Name: Srikant Vaithilingam

Coral login: srikantv

Phone: 650-723-0297

Email: srikantv at stanford.edu

PI: Prof. Butrus T. Khuri-Yakub

2)      Solvent Name: Crystalbond 509-S Stripper

MSDS: attached to this email

3)      Vendor:               SPI Supplies Division / Structure Probe, Inc.

569 East Gay Street

P.O. Box 656

West Chester, PA 19381-0656 USA

Phone:  1-(800)-2424-SPI Toll-free from USA/Canada

 FAX:     1-(610)-436-5755

 E-mail:  spi3spi at 2spi.com
<mailto:spi3spi at 2spi.com?subject=SPI%20Supplies%20Order%20Form%20Page>

WWW:   www.2spi.com

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/mounts/crystalbond-509s-stripper.shtml

Manufacturer:  Aremco Products, Inc.

707-B Executive Blvd.

Valley Cottage, NY 10989

4)      Reason for request:

Using crystalbond to mount a wafer onto a carrier wafer is the recommended
operating procedure for use in STS2. Many other laboratories use the same
method including LNF (Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor) and Georgia Tech.

http://ssel-front.eecs.umich.edu/ToolDocs/doc00105.pdf

                Using 509-S stripper to dissolve the crystalbond after use
is the recommended method from the manufacturer of Crystalbond. It has many
advantages over acetone including the following:

"It features a very low evaporation rate, it rinses off easily with water,
it is non-flammable, non-reactive with metals, and it is also biodegradable.
But the most attractive part about the use of the stripper, relative to
acetone, is that one need not be exposed to potentially harmful (acetone)
vapors"

5)      Process Flow:

I will use the 509-S stripper only at WBsolvent to debond the carrier wafer
from the etched wafer.

6)      Amount and form:

I will bring in 1 gallon (liquid) of the stripper in a plastic bottle
similar in size and look to the current containers for acetone, methanol
etc.  It will be appropriately labeled with the chemical name, my name etc.

7)      Storage:

I would like to store the solvent inside SNF. Storage group 'L'  or 'G'
would be fine.

8)      Disposal:

I will dispose of the chemical in the same carboy as the other solvents at
WBSolvent.