Unity request for p5000etch

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 3 10:52:50 PDT 2011

All,

Element by element:

Pr ( Praseodymium): Fluoride volatility similar to Y, Sm, Nb, Ce and La
near -130 kcal/gram-atom.  Not easy to form.
Co: No volatile compound will be formed, hence it will reside in the chamber
Mn: Has similar fluoride volatility as Co and Ni,. Has a similar vapor
pressure as indium (right on the edge of acceptable)
La: Fluoride volatility similar to Y, Sm, Nb, Ce and La near -130
kcal/gram-atom.  Not easy to form.
Sr: Below the indium vapor pressure cut-off.  Free energy of formation
-140 kcal/gram-atom for both Sr and Ca
Ca: Below the indium vapor pressure cut-off.  Free energy of formation
-140 kcal/gram-atom for both Sr and Ca

Lidia's comment " We may have likely have to use a larger component of
sputter etch ie Ar in the etch." is very telling.  We will  be approving
the P5000 to be used as a ion sputter etch tool.  With other options
available to them, my vote is no.

Ed