Fwd: Etching ZnO in pquest during contamination period

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 31 11:05:21 PDT 2011

Hi Jonathan --

Apologies for the delay in response.  There's been a lot of discussion
about this particular request as well as how to better respond to the
more difficult SpecMat questions, like this one.

SpecMat requests that require discussion will be reviewed every Thursday
at 2:30 -- which is now a standing staff meeting where hardware as well
as process changes are presented.

As for your specific request, the issue at hand is that the PQuest does
not really belong to SNF, but to the III-V device community.  Jim
McVittie is both our etch and contamination expert -- and he has been
following up with the III-V faculty on this and related concerns.  I
don't believe he has a definitive yes or no from them as yet, but fees
unlikely they will be satisfied with a wet chamber clean.  The problem
with the PQuest is that the system design is such that the chamber walls
actually play an important role in the chemical reactions so a lot of
caution is exercised over the types of materials allowed in this
system.   So, the answer is not a definitive "no", but nor is it a "yes".

Near term, please to contact Ed Myers about the ion milling system in
the SNC lab.  This system was acquired to etch materials just like this.

Long term, this is just yet more justification for having this sort of
capability at SNF.

Mary

On 10/31/2011 10:20 AM, Jonathan Mailoa wrote:
> Hi Mary,
>
> Two weeks ago I sent this etching permission request to specmat. I am
> wondering if you have a timeline on when I'll possibly know the result?
>
> I would also like to know if I have any option for ZnO dry etch (sputter or
> RIE) which will be allowed.
>
> Best
> Jonathan

Paul G. Allen Room 136, Mail Code 4070