Silica Particles

Mahnaz Mansourpour mahnaz at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 26 13:45:43 PDT 2011

Hi Mark --

My sincere apologies.  I usually handle nanoparticle requests, but must
have completely missed your previous email, so you haven't heard from us.

We don't generally allow nanoparticle solutions into the cleanroom or
cleanroom processing tools though there are a few exceptions.  For spin
coating, we don't allow silica nanoparticle solutions in the cleanroom
tools because it is remarkably difficult to keep them clean and avoid
have them redeposit on other peoples' substrates.

So, for what you describe here, we have a spin coater located outside
the lab, in the "wafersaw" room.  It is not really clean by
microcontamination standards, but it is ventilated and the air is
filtered.  Mahnaz Mansourpour trains on this system.  It's a nice,
manual, Laurell coater (better and newer than the general spinner inside
the lab.)

By the way, are you trying to create a monolayer of silica particles?
If so, you should make sure to get surface-modified beads -- either all
with carboxylate (negative) or amine (positive) chemical groups.  The
charge really helps a lot in distributing particles and prevents their
clumping.  Unless you already have a protocol of your own, I may be able
to dig up a couple from people who have done it here.

Paul G. Allen Room 136, Mail Code 4070
mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu