Wright etchant

Liam O'Faolain ofaolain at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 20 08:40:03 PDT 2012

Dear committee,

I would like to use Wright etchant to distinguish between amorphous and
crystalline silicon, as in the attached paper. I am unaware of a similar
chemical in the SNF (I have asked around).

This is chemical is commercially available- Transene Company, Inc., 10
Electronics Avenue, Danvers MA  01923, www.transene.com (MSDS attached).
This is preferable to making it up here. It would be stored in the bulk
storage room. Processing would be carried in the general wetbench and
carried out with gold contaminated beakers. It is in liquid form. Wright
Etchant contains Hydrofluoric acid which is the primary hazard.

The process flow is as follows:
Prepare wafers with amorphous/crystalline silicon layers.
Immerse in Wright etchant (time to be determined)
Rinse in water
Dispose of chemicals
Examine wafers

The disposal procedure should probably be the same as for Hydrofluoric
Acid. However, Wright etchant also contains Cupric Nitrate. If this is a
problem, then it will have to be locally collected.

Yours,
William

--
Dr. William Whelan-Curtin (Liam O'Faolain)
Ginzton Laboratory, Nano Building