Using chemical Fluoroetch solvent for teflon etching to SNF

Noureddine Tayebi ntayebi at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 6 13:52:55 PST 2012

Dear all,

I'm writing to request permission to use a solvent called Fluoroetch that is made by a company called acton technologies (http://www.actontech.com/fluor1.htm).  The solvent is used to etch teflon surface to make it adhesive to glue (glue will not be used in the fab). Fluoropolymer films and sheest such as teflon must be etched on one side to bond them. We are looking into glueing microtubings made of teflon.

The Fluoroetch solvent is a Sodium naphthalene complex in glycol ether. It is both flammable and toxic. The Flash point is at 158 F (70 C) and the autoignition temperature is at 370 F (188 C). The toxic elements are 2-Methoxyethyl ether and Sodium Naphthalene complex.

I have attached the MSDS sheet for further information.  Please do get back to me ASAP as I'm looking to using it within the next week or so.

Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you very soon,

Best regards,

Noureddine