Including the use authorization request for Fluoroetch solvent for teflon etching in SNF in today's SpecMat meeting

Noureddine Tayebi ntayebi at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 15 13:04:14 PDT 2012

Dear SpecMat team,

I’m writing to you to include the FluroEtch solvent request that I submitted about 10 days ago for the SpecMat agenda for today’s meeting.  The  Fluoroetch solvent is made by a company called acton technologies (http://www.actontech.com/fluor1.htm), and is used to etch teflon surface to make it adhesive to glue (glue will not be used in the fab). Fluoropolymer films and sheest such as teflon must be etched on one side to bond them. We are looking into glueing microtubings with 300 um diameter made of teflon.

The Fluoroetch solvent is a Sodium naphthalene complex in glycol ether. It is both flammable and toxic. The Flash point is at 158 F (70 C) and the autoignition temperature is at 370 F (188 C). The toxic elements are 2-Methoxyethyl ether and Sodium Naphthalene complex.  I have attached the MSDS sheet for further information.
I also checked and propylene glycol solvent equivalent will not be able to etch and create the adhesive surface required to glue the Teflon tubing.
I’m also not sure if I’m supposed to attend the meeting as well
Here is a summary of how and where I want to store it in SNF:
1.	I want to purchase the smallest container the company sells, which is 1 pint (0.47 liter).
2.	I want to store it in SNF. It should be stored with flammable liquid storage.
3.	The Teflon etch with the FluoroEtch solvent does not require any heating (RT use). Etch is ~ 1 min at the most. Since it's a solvent, I want to use the solvent bench (wbsolvent) unless you require otherwise. Minimal amount is needed (~ 4 ml). I just need to dip the end of the tubings into the solvent.
4.	To dispose of the solvent waste, I would collect the waste in an appropriate container without
using the shared carboy and dispose/label the waste using SNF standards for wbsolvent/wbgeneral procedures.
5.	I will perform this procedure very sporadically: twice or three times max a year.
6.	I will dispose of any gloves and wipes in the solvent waste bins, I will use my own labware for it and have tweezers go through acetone, ipa dips (1- mins each) after use.
7.	I will also include a rid off date on the bottle once the use of the solvent is not required
8.	I will request permission from the SpecMat team if I want more bottles, new
users, other stations, etc.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Noureddine