launch pad ragged

Kate Shaw gurqis at rkw-uk.com
Tue Sep 5 13:47:42 PDT 2006

At the mere sight of a nineteenth-centurynovel people say, Oh, but thats OLD! And my whole life, every white mans life in the East, was one longstruggle not to be laughed at. He becomes a sort of hollow, posing dummy, the conventionalizedfigure of a sahib.
It was not, of course, awildelephant, but a tame one which had gone must.
I have just enough experience of pick andshovel work to be able to grasp what this means. They used to go on doing this even when they were pregnant.
But it is quite a mistake to thinkthat they enjoy it. But the fillers look and work as though they were made of iron. Would I like to be a bookseller DE MÉTIER?
It was a bit of fun tothem, as it would be to an English crowd; besides they wanted the meat. At the mere sight of a nineteenth-centurynovel people say, Oh, but thats OLD! Probably majority of people would even prefer not to hear aboutit.
Probably majority of people would even prefer not to hear aboutit.
It was perfectly clear to me what I ought to do. The tortured gasps continuedas steadily as the ticking of a clock. The touts from the Christmas card firms used tocome round with their catalogues as early as June.
But finally you do somehowcreep as far as the coal face.
Afterwards, of course, there were endless discussions about the shootingof the elephant. Asa police officer I was an obvious target and was baited whenever itseemed safe to do so. One could have imagined him thousands of yearsold.
In the end I could not stand it any longer and went away. Probably our library subscribers were a fair cross-section of Londonsreading public.
I remember that it was a cloudy,stuffy morning at the beginning of the rains.
It is a dreadful job that they do, an almostsuperhuman job by the standard of an ordinary person.
You can hardly tellby the look of them whether they are young or old. These doors are an important part of the ventilation system.
But finally you do somehowcreep as far as the coal face.