Deposition of Silicon Nitride over Quartz or Glass

Ofer Levi levi at snowmass.stanford.edu
Sun Jun 13 21:14:43 PDT 2004

Hi All,
I am trying to deposit a 530 nm thick and uniform layer of Silicon Nitride
over Quartz using the STS PECVD tool.
I would like to get some information about the uniformity and deposition
rates of Silicon Nitride over Quartz, and some information about the
difference from deposition over Silicon wafers.
Jim McVittie told me that in his experiments few years back he found ~ 8%
slower deposition rate compared with what he had over silicon (This Friday
was calibrated to be ~ 70.6 Ang./minute for 2500 Ang. thick SiNx over
Silicon, total chamber sidewall coating at 2.9 micron). Rafael and Mike
updated me that edge effects also change rate around sample edges.
Any additional information from people who have some experience with
deposition over Quartz /glass wafers will be great.

I also would like to gather information about the index of refraction
dispersion of these thin films in wavelengths above 633 nm.

Thanks,
Ofer Levi

Ofer Levi, 		Ph.D.
Department of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
CIS-X Rm 310,  Stanford, CA 94305-4075

Phone:   			         (650)725-6907 or 723-0464
Fax: 	                                             (650)723-4659
Adm. Asst.: Gail Chun-Creech                  Ph:  (650)723-0983
E-Mail:	         		 levi at snow.stanford.edu
Web page: 	    	http://snow.stanford.edu/~levi/