etching through wafer

Chris Kenney kenney at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 8 10:12:13 PDT 2004

Hi Andrew,

Our group has been etching small, high-aspect-ratio features
since the machine was installed.

When you say a 8 micrn hole, do you mean a circular cross
section or a trench?

For circular features we obtain aspect ratios of 15 to 1
after some tuning and some luck.

During the etch the diameter tends to widen.

Several years ago we etched small holes through a 300 micron thick
wafer. The holes were drawn as 15 micron diameter circles on the
mask. As I recall it took 4-5 hours to etch through and the
holes ended up around 22-23 microns in diameter after the etch.

Most papers use trenches when discussing process development
for a DRIE machine. Trenches are easier to measure and
one can obtain higher aspect ratios with trenches.

Unless a paper is very explicit in specifying that circular
holes were used I'd assume they used trenches.

Goodluck.

Chris