etching through wafer

Kim, Han-jun han-jun.kim at hp.com
Thu Apr 8 11:08:52 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'd agree with Chris that holes are more difficult
than trenches. I personally didn't have any problem
in etching 40:1 AR features (0.5 um wide & 20 um deep),
with CD loss around 5%, using the current "old" STS.

But they were "trenches" with 500 um of length, not
"holes".  When you etch "deep" holes, you may want to
take microloading and sidewall profile into account.
I think you will better achieve your process goal by
modifying the recipes of your current use. Let me tell
you a guideline about it briefly:

Horizontal etching may be minimized by increasing
C4F8 flow rate and decreasing power.  When you add
some oxygen, the surface is also passivated with
Si(x)O(y)F(z) along with the CF(X) on it. But the
passivation is compromised with the enhanced etch rate.

If you're concerned that adding oxygen etches resist
way faster, you may introduce a hard mask. Finally,
lowering pressure helps regulate the gas density that
the resulting etch becomes more uniform. This feature
helps especially when the exposed areas are small.
But, this is at the cost of reduced etch rate.

Good luck on your process!

regards,
Hanjun

 Han-Jun Kim