STS time policy.

Benjamin Chui bchui at california.com
Tue Feb 10 16:22:19 PST 2004

I am fine with the 7-day horizon; I do plan out my process
well in advance so 7 days is not too far in the future.

I agree that the half-hour time slot is too short for the
STS; for users trying to reserve several hours of time in a
contiguous block, it means sitting at the computer all day
not being able to go anywhere (and even that doesn't
guarantee success!).

Let me suggest a short-term fix that might be easy to code
from the software guy's point of view: keep the new rule
that allows long reservations to START on the 7-day or
10-day horizon, but limit the total reservable time to say
2 hours (i.e if the user selects anything more than 4
continous slots, the program will bounce).  Assuming that
users are naturally greedy and tend to reserve the maximum
amount of time possible, this would naturally lead to a
2-hours-at-a-time reservation pattern.

Ben Chui

PS I have to admit I did take advantage of the extended
horizon and grabbed a lot of time for next week--allow me
to explain that I do really need to finish my process by
the end of the month, and once I'm done with this round of
etching I'll be out of the clean room for a looooong time
so I won't be competing with you folks anymore.