rookie questions

Michael S. Bartsch mbartsch at stanford.edu
Thu May 6 00:53:13 PDT 2004

Hello Ignacio,

I can't speak to the use of the P5000, but my understanding is that the
STS requires a photoresist mask in order to achieve its high aspect ratio
etches.  Basically your PR mask is what provides the etcher with the
polymer components it needs to passivate the etched side-walls as the
machine cycles through etch and passivation steps.  With an oxide mask
only and no source of polymer, I don't believe you can get the nice,
vertical side-walls you probably want from the etch.

Good luck,
Mike