PLEASE PLEASE help with STS etcher footing problem

Alissa M. Fitzgerald amf at
Thu Oct 20 18:52:03 PDT 2005

I'd look into using stsetch2 (talk to Ed Myers - it isn't quite released
yet, but maybe you could be among the first to get on it).  The footing
problem/stopping on oxide has been solved on the newer generations of DRIE
tools.  Don't waste your time trying to make pigs fly.

From: Elvis Der-Song Lin [mailto:elvislin at]
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:23 PM
To: stsetch at; p5000etch at
Subject: PLEASE PLEASE help with STS etcher footing problem

Hi my knowledgeable and experienced friends,

My groupmember and I have a question regarding methods to minimize the
footing problem when using the STS ether to etch trenches with oxide as etch
stop.  I used the "deep" recipe to etch 120 um deep trenches which are 10 um
wide.  I did about 5 minutes of over etching.  After etching, the footing
was very severe, especially at places where two trenches cross etch other.
The footing was at least 5 um on each side.  Is there a recipe that is tuned
to miniminze the "footing" problem?  Any suggestions will be high