sts1 micrograss problem

Wibool Piyawattanametha wibool at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 11 14:13:19 PST 2006

Hi All,

Almost every run that we use STS1 with smoothshal recipe, we have
silicon-micrograss problem.     We use an oxide mask for STS etching with
the etching time of around 83 mins.    The wafer comes out completely black
in the etching trenches and openings.   I have some questions to ask as
follows:

1.  Has anyone experienced the same problem whether or not they do the
chamber clean?

2.  Do someone have any modified recipes for the smoothshal to remove the
excessive polymer to prevent this micrograss?

Thank you very much.

WP

Wibool Piyawattanametha, Ph.D.
Stanford University
Departments of Applied Physics, Biological Sciences, and Pediatrics
James H. Clark Center (Bio-X) - Room W080
318 Campus Drive
Stanford, CA 94305
T: (650) 725-4097
F: (650) 724-5805