Comment stsetch2 SNF 2009-09-25 14:11:23: Chamber lift ...

shott at snf.stanford.edu shott at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Sep 25 14:11:24 PDT 2009

I went to look at the portable gantry crane at AAA rental.  While it may work, it's biggest liability is it's overhead clearance.  The horizontal bar is at 6' 10".  The chamber top is at about 5' 2".  That doesn't leave a heck of a lot of clearance for the chain hoist plus a yoke of chains to connect to the eyebolts.
I found something that may work better .... at Redwood City Rental (although they may also have one at AAA: An engine hoist.
The one that I looked at has removable legs (so that we don't have to maneuver the thing ... we can assemble in place) that have a lateral clearance of slightly more than 36".  The stsetch2 is only a little more than 24" deep.  Plus, it will go higher and has a built-in hydraulic lifting mechanism.  Plus it's cheaper: $30 per day instead of $120 for the gantry crane plus an additional $20 for the chain hoist.
As this can be disassembled, it can be picked up and returned in the company truck.
Thanks,
John