Updates on stsetch2

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 28 15:27:34 PST 2010

Dear stsetch2 users:

As you probably know, there have been several significant hardware and
process changes on stsetch2 over the past several months. Much progress
has been made: kudos to Jim McV and his team of volunteers. Resist
burning is no longer a problem; etch bias can be reduced; profiles can
be tuned; footing on SOI can be minimized.

The purpose of this note is to communicate current plans relevant to
stsetch2 use and to get your feedback.

   1. Reservations policy. There is currently no limit (except the 7 day
      horizon) on stsetch2. Given the performance, we anticipate that
      demand for this system will soon be high. We would like your
      inputs on a reservations policy. Just for reference, the policy
      for stsetch1 is as follows: 4-day reservation horizon, four hour
      limit for a single reservation, four hour limit during prime time.
      This means that in a four day window, a labmember can have several
      four-hour reservations, even back to back, but a maximum of four
      hours during prime time (8 am-6 pm). Some informal suggestions for
      modifications for stsetch2 are: no off-prime time limit (easier to
      schedule long etches); or a 7-day reservation horizon (to allow
      for more planning time.)

   2. Training. We have decided to postpone training new users for
      approximately 4-6 weeks. The reason is that process development on
      the new hardware is still underway. Jim’s team hopes to have three
      basic processes to offer in the next several weeks. Once this is
      done (and we’ve updated the operating instructions and supporting
      training documentation) training will begin again. Inputs on what
      you would like to see in terms of documentation and procedures for
      new users would be greatly appreciated.

   3. Wafer Bonding. Some of Jim’s team have found Crystalbond to be
      effective in bonding wafers together. This is approved on a
      limited user basis. If you are interested in using this, make sure
      to contact Nancy or me for instructions and restrictions (for
      example, NO POWDERS allowed in the lab – and training on the
      wafersaw room solvent bench.)

Much of the process characterization work is being reviewed in the
STSetch2 users group meeting which is held most Tuesdays at 1 pm. To
join the group, please talk with Jim about your special process needs.
Again, your feedback on reservations policy, training, and process needs
are appreciated.

Thanks for your attention –

Mary

--