STS2 update ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu May 27 07:24:22 PDT 2010

stsetch2 community:

I thought that I'd send out an update as to where things stand on
stsetch2.  Because STS will not schedule visits until a purchase order
is in place, we have opened a blanket order with STS that should
eliminate future delays when we place a service call to STS.  That order
was finally opened on Tuesday. Because of uncertainty in the length of
time that field service will spend at other sites our best information
for STS is that they will be here next week, but we do not yet know
which day they will arrive.

In the meantime, Jim McVittie and Elmer have been looking closely at the
matching network and matching network controller to identify the source
of the RF drop outs.  Yesterday, they found some intermittent contacts
in the wiring harness that senses and controls the position of the
variable capacitors in the matching network and are in the process of
repairing/replacing the appropriate components to determine if these
intermittent contacts on the control side are responsible for the
observed dropouts.  While it is too early to say that this IS the source
of the drop outs ... we need to complete those repairs and then do some
long runs to confirm this ... we are actively pursuing this path and
should have more definitive information either later today or tomorrow.

We know that this is a vitally important tool to many of you and that it
has taken a long time to identify the source of these intermittent
problems and resolve them.  We understand that this tool needs to be in
a condition where it runs reliably and that when it fails we need to be
able to more quickly call for outside assistance when we cannot resolve
that issue ourselves in a timely fashion.  We believe that our new open
blanket order will eliminate much of the delay in that process in the
future.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions,

John