That was $3K in replacement parts!

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 16 14:16:58 PST 2006

WHO USED BLACK GUNK ON SVGCOAT TRACK 2???!!!?  It's EVERYWHERE!  In the
catchcup, in the vacuum lines, and in the spindle motor assembly!  What
IS it??!??

And because Mahnaz is out sick today, I will take this opportunity to
restate the obvious:    Only standard resists and approved chemicals
which are compatible with resist-cleaning chemicals are allowed for
manual dispense on the SVG tracks.  (This black stuff is obviously NOT
one of them!)

There's a reason for this rule, and this incident is a good illustration:
1.  It looks like Mario is going to have to replace the spindle motor.
It's $3K for a new motor.
2.  This is taking up a lot of Mario's time to repair, which means other
stuff in litho is not being addressed.
3.  We're down to just one track, until this is repaired.
4.  A labmember's wafer was ruined, because coat track #2 wasn't working
properly (and yes, he ran test wafers without problems -- it looks like
it took a little while for the spindle to freeze up.)

So:  Whoever did this, DON'T DO IT AGAIN!  And if you are willing to be
an adult and take responsibility for this, an apology to Mario would
certainly be a good place to start.  And, you should let us know what it
this stuff is, if only because we still need to find a way to get rid of it.

Grrrr!!

Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.
Stanford Nanofabrication Facility
CIS Room 136, Mail Code 4070