DCS Problems ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 12 14:52:45 PDT 2011

DCS Users:

As you may be aware, we currently do not have DCS available for these
critical tools.  Yesterday morning, we found that the cylinder heater
that keeps the DCS sufficiently warm to keep adequate vapor pressure had
gotten too hot ... 28C rather than 18C.  That was enough that when DCS
got into the regulator and gas panel (which is closer to 18C) we got
liquid condensation.

In these cases, it is best to use the onboard venturi vacuum generator
to pump this out to make sure that there is no liquid trapped in the
delivery line (which will result in erratic flow and flow faults).
Unfortunately, the burn box that treats the effluent from the venturi
has developed blockage and is in need of a thorough cleaning.  We will
take that opportunity to replace the quartz liner and heater element
that will avoid a future problem.

We are currently dis-assembling, thoroughly cleaning, and reassembling
that burn box.  We are hopeful that we may have this unit fully cleaned
and rebuilt by the end of business tomorrow.

We apologize for this outage, but will hope to be back in service soon.

Let me know if you have any questions,

John