how to prevent growing poly-si on the backside of the wafer

Chienliu Chang clchang6 at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 26 23:09:58 PDT 2011

Dear Miss Ran,

Hi, I am Chienliu.
It is impossible not to deposit polysilicon on the back side.
The only and easiest way is blank-etching away the backside polysilicon
after deposition.

There are some selective deposition method to date in the world, but they
are not applicable in SNF.

I think to bond any material on the back-side is unwise.
It would introduce wafer cracking in the furnace.
Even though it might be uncracked after deposition, it would be tightly
bonded after high-temperature annealing, and then hardly separate them.
Besides, no any nobel-metal clamp can tightly fix on the wafer in these
high-temperature ambient.
It also introduces contamination.

Please discuss with me if anything I could help you.
Best,
Chienliu

Chienliu Chang, Ph.D.

Khuri-Yakub Laboratory
Edward L. Ginzton Laboratory, Box 125
Center for Nanoscale Science & Engineering, room 101
Stanford University
348 Via Pueblo, Stanford, CA 94305-4088

Phone: 650-725-2265
Email: clchang6 at stanford.edu