Thin oxide measurement

jim kruger jimkruger at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 21:06:27 PST 2008

The NanoSpec ThinOxide program has a very simple
model, just measuring reflectance at a single
wavelength.  It is not very accurate, easily confused
by e.g. roughness.
The NanoSpec Oxide/Si program does measure reflectance
over a range of wavelengths and gives good numbers for
thickness' over 1000Ang.  I am more suspicious of
values between 100 and 1000Ang.

For thickness' less than  about 1000 Ang, you should
use an ellipsometer, either the older Rudolf or the
fancy new J. A.  Woolam which is one of the few tools
we have at SNF that is State of the Art.

Uli can train you an the Rudolf or Ed Myers on the
Woolam.

jimkruger