why tylanbpsg has a cable problem

Aaron Partridge aaronp at micromachine.stanford.edu
Sun May 18 10:38:00 PDT 2003

tylan users,

please excuse a brief rant:  when we are done with a tylan tube and the
door is closed the door motor will keep pushing the door -- even though
it is already closed.  when the motor runs like this there is supposed
to be a slip clutch safely sliding away, but sometimes that 'clutch' is
the pully on the cable.  then guess what?  the cable gets trashed.
where does it get trashed?  on the pulley where you can't see it when
the tube is closed.

when a tube is closed and you hear the door motor running, that what is
happening.  you can and should stop this.  when i was trained (in 1995)
this was standard procedure, now most lab users don't have a clue about
it.  walk by the tubes some time and listen, you can usually hear a few
of them grinding away.

aaron.