Shutdown tylannitride SNF 2010-08-31 06:25:20: Pump oil everywhere ....

shott at snf.stanford.edu shott at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 31 06:25:21 PDT 2010

This morning there is pump oil all over the floor behind the pump end of the tylan nitride pump and the level of the oil in the sight glass is only about 1 cm above the minimum line.  As of about 5 p.m. last evening, it was only about 1 cm below the upper line .... I can't quite remember why I was looking in there, but I was.
While I don't know that it is related, I found that the oil circulator was on even though only the outlet of the circulator was connected and the return line was disconnected.  While I can't be certainly, this is clearly wrong.  My guess is that it pumped the fluid out of the filter unit and may have been pressurizing the crankcase of the pump which, of course, would have exacerbated any oil leakage.  There is enough oil on everything that it is difficult to identify the source of the leak.
We need a clear policy and procedure as to whether we are going to use pump filtration or not and then follow through carefully on that.
John