Shutdown tylannitride SNF 2010-09-22 01:32:46: Pump end blew off ....

shott at snf.stanford.edu shott at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 22 01:32:46 PDT 2010

I received a call at home from EMCS about an unspecified TGO alarm at about 12:40 a.m. this morning.  I arrived near 1 a.m. and found that two gas sensors had reached alarm levels.  One was the POCL3/BBre3 alarm and the other was one of the MDA points .... I don't remember which one.
When I came into the lab with the RKI hand held, after resetting the MDA (which did not return to an alarm state) I found that the tylan nitride pump had the end blown off and there was pump oil all over the floor.
There was no evidence that anything was actually running.  As near as I can tell, this was in the PUMP10 program.
I have turned off the pump power and all power and control to tube 10.
My next step, will be to work on cleaning the pump oil and, in particular capping the exhaust side of the pump so that the integrity of the burn box is not compromised.
At this point, particularly if there was actually no process running in tylannitride, I'm flummoxed as to what could have caused the pump end to blow off in this fashion.
Thanks,
John