Blades

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 4 09:52:54 PDT 2005

Hello wafersaw users --

Some bad news.  As you know, Dynatek is out of the blade business,
leaving us without the aluminum hub, nickel grit blades we know and
love.  We evaluated a comparable blade and it works beautifully (the
F3530 from Semitec), and so we placed a large order in June.  However,
it turns out that the factory has moved to China and due to startup
issues, blades which were due to arrive in August won't even ship to the
US (where they have to be repackaged and reshipped) until the end of
this month.  Aaacck!

In the meantime, if you have your own blade, treat it nicely.  We have
plenty of resinoid blades, which can be used for cutting silicon as well
as glass or quartz.  The resinoid blades are new, for those of us who
are used to the old Dynateks, but because they use fine grain diamond
grit, they also deliver nice, smooth-edged cuts, like the old S3030's.
They are, however, wider (300 microns, instead of the usual 90 microns
for the S3030's.)  If your devices can accomodate this wider kerf, I
would recommend these blades.  If you devices can't accomodate the wider
kerf, and you don't have your own S3030 handy, I do have a few 100
micron-wide resinoid blades that I've been meaning to try out, but
haven't as yet.  If you'd like to help me test them, let me know.  If
you need to use a resinoid blade but haven't used one before, please
follow the diagram and instructions in the section 9 of the operating
procedures (yes, I know they're wordy, but all the info is there!)  Or,
have someone show you how (me, Maurice, any one of the experienced
wafersaw users.)  Whatever you do with the resinoid blades, be very nice
and gentle to the stainless steel flanges (they are $500/each and the
lead time is a couple of months.)

Meanwhile, I'll follow up with the new Semitec blades (or comparable
replacements thereof.)

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.