Blade selection

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 20 10:03:47 PDT 2007

Hi --

I'm the wafer saw engineer here.  The K&S and the Semitec technical
support were very helpful in decoding the part numbers.  They are
actually pretty consistent between Semitec and Dynatex, with slight
differences.  The first letter gives the grit size (I think this may be
different between vendors).  "F" in Semitec means <2 microns, I think,
and comparable to "S" in Dynatex, and gives smooth cuts for silicon,
though generally breaks on harder substrates ("S" translates in
Dynatex-speak to 1-2 micron carbide grit, I vaguely recall).  "C" in
Dynatex-speak means >50 micron grit size and better for hard
substrates.  The next two digits are the blade width, or kerf,  and the
next two, are the blade depth in English units.  So, we use the F3530
(on the Semitec website, you can download the cheat sheet for all the
codes) which means small carbide grit size (F means <2 um) with 350 mil
kerf width (the "35") and 3.0 mil (for "30") blade depth (or something
like that -- I'm always off by a factor of 10 one way or the other for
the English units -- all I'm sure about is that this corresponds to a
kerf width is about 90 microns and blade depth is 0.762 mm.)  We chose
the F3530 as a replacement for the S3030 Dynatex blades we used to use.
We went with the slightly wider width because it's a sturdier blade and
also there's a significant price drop with a slightly thicker blade.  We
went with diamond grit resinoid blades for the replacement for the
Dynatex "C" series for hard substrates -- they last a lot longer.

Good luck --

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.