Problem wbdiff SNF 2006-12-02 08:08:22: Water leakage again ...

shott at snf.stanford.edu shott at snf.stanford.edu
Sat Dec 2 08:08:22 PST 2006

I got the call from work control this morning at 6 a.m. about a
lab leak alarm.  When I got in at 6:30, the TraceTek was, once again, reading 097 ... behind wbdiff.  I'm guessing that there was about a 500 ml of water (well, pH neutral it seems) on the floor but with no obvious source.  There also appears to be a bit of water on the "manifold shelf" on the right side of the wetbanch.  However, I can't figure what is leaking there, and I can't tie that to the water on the floor.
In order to try to test things, I did a test of the left dump rinse, the rightmost dump rinse, and the 4" part of the SRD.  All with no evidence of additional leakage.  Because I did not want to waste the chemicals, I did not test either the aspirators or the HF drains.
Looking underneath the deck, I didn't see any leaking fittings.  However, I did notice that there had been some splashing in there and that there are some oval slots up near the top of the reaar wall that appear to go into the air plenum.  I'm wondering whether that is leaking.
So, we clearly have an occasional leak ... but I still can't identify the source.
Thanks,
John