Acid Waste Neutralizer down for the night

Eric Perozziello eap at gloworm.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jun 16 22:38:39 PDT 2008

Please do not dump acids or bases at any of the wetbenches
tonight.  The Neutralizer is down until the morning.
Cesar got the system back into spec manually, and
Tony Padilla came in from vacation to look at the system.
Jose will take care of it in the morning.

It's critical that no chemicals be dumped.  If the pH
goes out of spec in the neutralizer tanks, then the
neutralizer must divert ALL water to a holding tank,
that will quickly fill up and overflow.  Even if noone
is dumping water from the lab, the scrubbers and other
facilities continuously feed (almost pure) water to
the system.  So if we upset the pH in the system even slightly,
we create a very bad overflow situation.