Beware of WET chemical bottles!

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue May 8 17:32:51 PDT 2007

Dear wet bench users --

The Stockroom staff has brought to our attention the fact that
sometimes, when they remove the empty bottles from the chemicals
passthrough, they are wet -- on the OUTSIDE of the bottles.  Sometimes,
the liquid feels thick and viscous.  Sometimes, the liquid smells very
sharp....  This is completely unacceptable.

It appears that some people are becoming careless in using chemicals.
This careless behavior is endangering others -- not only our staff, but
anyone who may be using the chemicals carts or chemicals passthrough
which may also become contaminated by the wet bottles.

We only know too well that it is hard to find who is doing this -- and
often the culprit doesn't even realize what he/she is doing.

So please, please, PLEASE make sure to pour chemicals slowly and
carefully to avoid splashing.  If you do manage to drip chemical on the
outside of the bottle,  take it to wbgaas, where there is a large sink.
Place it on the holey deck and spray it down with the DI hand sprayer.
Use pH paper, if you like, to ensure the bottle is thoroughly rinsed.
If you have any questions about this, please ask a staff member.
Remember that this is a shared facility -- everything you do has the
potential to affect other lab and staff members.

So that was my plea for sanity....  Now, here's the threat...  The next
time our stockroom staff is exposed to chemicals on the outside of
bottle, I will randomly select two people from the labmembers who have
enabled any wet bench using that chemical during the previous 24 hours
-- who will help our stockroom staff run the bottle washer to clean
empty bottles.  Yes, I will even qualify them to use the bottle wash on
Coral....

Thanks for your attention --

Mary

--