KOH and Gold Question

Kris Vossough vossough at snf.stanford.edu
Tue May 22 01:03:10 PDT 2001

Hi Moe,

I struggled with similar situation in the past. Generally, good adhesion
of the Gold layer depends on the stability of the adhesion layer,
Chromium. In order to maintain good adhesion between Cr and Au layers, the
predeposition (base) pressure for Cr/Au must be low, i.e. 1 to 4E-7 torr.
Otherwise, the deposited Cr oxidizes rapidly and will not adhere to the Au
film (contaminated surfaces have similar effect). I have been able to
extend the life time of my Cr/Au films in BOE solution for up to 1 hour.

I am not sure about adhesion to the nitride layer, but I suspect rougher
surface on the nitride film (or other geometrical factors) may be the
reason. Ti can also be used for adhesion layer, but it oxidizes even
faster than Cr.

regards,
Kris Vossough
TelOptics Inc.