etch rate of oxide by HF

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 9 09:20:59 PDT 2004

Matthieu:

According to a plot that I find on page 265 of Runyan and Bean
(Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Processing Technology), I read off the
following points based on the volume percentage of 49% HF in water:

Volume Percentage    Etch Rate (A/sec)
2                                    1.3
5                                    3
10                                  6
16                                10
20                                15
30                                25

Note: These are etch rates for undoped thermal SiO2.  Undensified deposited
oxide, heavily phosphorus doped oxide, etc. will etch significantly faster.

Also note that these numbers we taken from my interpolations of a log-log
plot and, as a result, may not be precise.

Thanks,

John