Problem wbnonmetal SNF 2011-11-08 14:08:35: Slow acid leak in drain piping behind wbnonmetal

shott at snf.stanford.edu shott at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 8 14:08:36 PST 2011

Tom from AGC (who has been doing all of the PCW flow meters and pressure gauges) showed me a location in the basement close to the east wall where there is about a 10 cm patch of dried acid-like material on the concrete floor and evidence of a very slow drip from the wye above it.  I don't know if it is in the normal acid or HF drain system and I don't know whether it is leaking from the fittings down there or going through the aluminum plate in FW6 behind wbnonmetal but it definitely looks like an active, but slow, leak.
Actually, based on the amount of crystallized acid on and around the aluminum plate in FW6, it seems most likely that the leak is up in the finger wall behind wbnonmetal and dripping down into the basement from there.  The "white spot" in the basement is about 5 feet to the right of the milling machine.
Naturally, gloves and other appropriate PPE should be used when anyone is investigating this .... it could be largely sulfuric but it could equally be a HF compound, I believe.
In any event, we should take a careful look and see if we can determine whether it is the normal acid drain or the HF drain that is leaking.
Thanks,
John