Wet Bench Retraining

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Tue May 1 20:15:26 PDT 2001

Wet Bench Users (wbdiff, wbsilicide, wbnonmetal, wbgeneral):

I am sure most of you would agree that things have been getting a bit
out of control at the wet benches.  Many people are not certain of the
proper procedures for handling chemicals, cassettes, and wafers.  And a
few people don't seem to be exercising common courtesy.

There are going to be a number of changes to the wet benches, in terms
of operating procedures, policies, and equipment (see below).  These
changes we hope will make the wet benches both safer and easier to use.

The first thing we would like to do is to make sure everyone is starting
from the same, basic understanding of how to use these benches.  New
operating procedures have been written for these wet benches.  Everyone
currently qualified on these wet benches will be required to read these
operating procedures and take written tests to indicate their
understanding of the procedures.  This policy is effective immediately.
There will be a one month grace period in which currently qualified
users will be able to remain qualified.  After May 31, anyone who has
not turned in and passed the written test will lose their qualification.

These tests will be available in Uli and Henry's office, CIS room 146,
located next to the CIS Xerox/FAX room, under the stairs.

A final word about the tests:  there really is nothing to prevent you
from sharing answers -- but please don't.  The purpose of these tests is
not to screen people from working at these benches, but to educate
everyone on their proper and safe use.  Please abide by the Stanford
Honor Code (even if you are from Cal.)  By submitting your tests you are
saying that you understand and will follow these procedures -- and
everyone will be expected to enforce them.

Some of the other changes that are coming up:
1.  The Nanostrip hot pot will be converted back to a sulfuric/peroxide
hot pot.  (We haven't given up on Nanostrip, but just put it aside until
we understand it better.)  The announcement is imminent.
2.  We are in the process of reprogramming to controllers so that hot
pots can be aspirated at a higher temperature.  This also requires
checking the facilities to make sure we can handle this.  Acid changes
will be much faster once this is done.
3.  There is serious discussion about gloves, safety gear and general
ergonomics.  If you have any suggestions or ideas, the SNF staff would
appreciate hearing them.

If you have any questions regarding this requirement, or any of the
specific wet bench procedures, don't hesitate to contact the SNF staff.

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.
National Nanofabrication Users' Network