Problem wbsilicide SNF 2008-02-24 09:15:54: Leak under wbsilicide .... FuseSeal, I think

shott at snf.stanford.edu shott at snf.stanford.edu
Sun Feb 24 09:15:55 PST 2008

This morning I received a call at 6:40 a.m. from Work Control reporting a Lab Leak Detector alarm.
I got organized and got in a bit after 7:00.  The TraceTek was reading 90, which I acknowledged but did not yet reset, which placed it in the fingerwall between wbdiff and wbsilicide.
After a little looking around, I realized that the source of the leak was underneath wbsilicide and had gradually worked it's way into the fingerwall between the two metal floor plates where, I think, it had triggered the TraceTek.
So, I started with the SpilFyter strips and determined that it was both low in pH and contained oxidizer .... OK, sulfuric or hydrogen chloride mixed with peroxide.  So, bedecked in green boots and yellow gloves, I carefully mop up with various absorbent layers and then used the purple acid neutralization solution as best as I could.  I believe that it is in pretty good shape .... but I would still never crawl under there or lay on my back under there without some sort of plastic/absorbent underneath me.
To the best of my knowledge, while I saw no dripping, I believe that the source of the leak is one of the FuseSeal joints coming out the bottom of that sink.  In fact, one of the joints looked damp and I tested it with normal pH paper and found it to measure a pH of near 1.  I've marked the joint in question with a couple of the red "twist ties".  I've also placed a nalgene tub on top of a couple of yellow abosorbent pads.
While I will write this up (and likely use this text as my problem report), I see no reason to shutdown the sink at this poiint.  If anything, catching some liquid in the tub will help to confirm if my hypothesis of the location of the leak is correct.
Thanks,
John